Friday, February 24, 2012

HP Envy 14 or Dell XPS 15?

So, after 3 years, my xps M1330 has decided it is time to retire. Multiple small problems that can be worked through but would cost too much to justify fixing it.



So I am looking to buy a new laptop. I love what the XPS 15 offers in terms of just raw power for the low price. However, from what I have seen in pictures and videos, the thing just looks really fat and clunky. My XPS M1330 has a slimmer design and it is 3 years old.



The HP Envy is going to be refreshed in June to have Sandy Bridge processors, USB 3.0 and a better trackpad. All things the XPS already has. I really like the way they look as well. Not a huge fan of the flowery pattern on it but it is interesting.



The HP envy has a 1GB ATI GPU while the XPS has a 2GB NVIDIA GPU. The XPS display is also superior to the Envy as far as resolution goes.



The Envy would be about $100-$200 cheaper.

Both laptops are powerful but the XPS is definitely superior in terms of power. But the Envy just looks SO much better and is cheaper.



Is the XPS less chunky than it appears on camera? I don't want to go with the envy because I thought the XPS is chunky without actually ever seeing it. Right now I am leaning towards the Envy as it is cheaper, is a powerful laptop and, and I like the way it looks. I can afford both of them but price is a factor (college student).HP Envy 14 or Dell XPS 15?
There is a big difference in the screen size for the 14" Envy will not have full HD. With the 2GB NVIDIA GPU, you'll have better gaming experience from the XPS.

For gamers, make sure the GRAPHICS CARD on the laptop IS ONLY from the HIGH END or MIDRANGE:

click the link: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Grap鈥?/a>



Also, if you are ordering from www.DELL.com, I would suggest you get the 4-YEAR ADVANCED PLAN if it is an available option (1-4years). So that you don't need to worry about anything %26amp; you wont feel bad if an accident happens to your laptop that you got for more than $1200.

This will ensure that if something really REALLY bad accidentally happens to the laptop with-in that period of coverage, which cannot be repaired, then DELL will replace your laptop with a brand new one.

In this business, DELL has the best deal for laptop coverage.

DON'T get the phone support service, for it would just be a waste of money.



watch the video: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as鈥?/a>

Playing for long hours? Get a COOLER MASTER U2 Notebook Cooler w/c has dual purposes. Cool thing about it is, you can position the fans on the right spot for better ventialation. When travelling, detach the easily detacheable dual fan, then use the aluminum frame as a protection for your laptop's screen when inside the bag. I got mine from MicroCenter.com for $15, 48% cheaper than the regular $25 tag (FRYS.com SKU#: 6344931).

click to buy: http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc鈥?/a>





Additional info, read on:

I used to work for a big name computer company %26amp; usually received a lot of call regarding battery issues.

A brand new computer's battery comes w/ a Standard 1yr Limited Warranty w/c means the expected life time of battery is only 1 year. Same thing goes for the charger.

So, if you don't know how to take care of it, it will die out on you sooner than than expected.



FYI: I always tell my customers, a laptop's battery is similar to a cell phone's. You charge it when it's depleted %26amp; you unplug the adapter when it is already fully charge (this will prevent the battery from getting overcharged %26amp; extend the life of the battery). So for less hassle, I always advice my customers to just remove the battery if they plan to use the computer for long hours straight (more than 1 hour) and just run it on AC power alone so as not to overcharge it %26amp; shorten the battery life.

ONLY USE THE BATTERY FOR PORTABILITY, if you're on a trip, at McDonalds or Starbucks.

If your not after its portability, use it plugged into the wall socket all the time.



For chargers, make sure you don't stretch out the cable too much that the one by the power jack that you plug into the side of the computer gets bent. Make sure this part is always straight or else the copper wires inside will break %26amp; you'll have the problem of the charger not working anymore like what happened to some of my callers.HP Envy 14 or Dell XPS 15?
Off-tropic

Quote: "The HP Envy is going to be refreshed in June to have Sandy Bridge processors, USB 3.0 and a better trackpad. All things the XPS already has. I really like the way they look as well. Not a huge fan of the flowery pattern on it but it is interesting. "



Is this a fact that you know?



I've been look at the Envy 14" for quite a while now, and I'm really close to buy on of them - but if there will be som newer models in the next month, I'll think I'll wait a bit longer.



OT: I would personally go with the Envy - I do think HP is far better the Dell - especially the design of the Envy

No comments:

Post a Comment