Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My computer didn't come with an OS disk?

I need to format my hard drive, and I've been told all I need to do is put in the Operating System disk which came with my computer upon starting up the freshly formatted hard drive? Well my computer, which I bought brand new (HP Envy 14 beats) didn't come with an OS disk and I didn't need it with my initial setup. Will my computer still be fine after I format the HD?My computer didn't come with an OS disk?
First, you can create your own 'recovery disks'. You only get to burn 1 set and it will take 3-4 blank DVDs. Go to your programs and under 'maintenance' open 'recovery' and follow the steps to 'create recovery disks'.

OR you can buy them from HP for about $20

Second, DO NOT FORMAT YOUR C:DRIVE! You will loose everything, including your operating system, aka Windows. Only re-format your hard drive if you are re-installing Windows(which you can do from your recovery disks)

If you are trying to format something other than your system drive(c:drive) go to Windows explorer and right click on the drive and format away. You will overwrite anything on that drive so be careful.My computer didn't come with an OS disk?
a physical disk nowadays can be an optional purchase. HP might sell them.



If you reformat your disk your computer wont start up and you wont have a way to re-install the operating system.

No comments:

Post a Comment