Monday, March 12, 2012

Should I get a Macbook Pro?

Hi. I've been debating getting a new laptop for a while now, and I've narrowed it down to two options: the new Macbook Pro 13" or the HP Envy 14. I'm not so worried about getting a new PC, but I'm having doubts about switching to Apple after being a long-time PC-user. If I do get a Macbook it'll mainly be used for documents, Power Point presentations, photography, and everyday web browsing, e-mailing etc. I'm probably going to take this laptop with me to college, so keep that in mind. One question I would like to have answered is: are programs such as Picasa able to be installed on a Macbook? Explain to me literally almost everything about these laptops coming from an actual user. Am I going to have problems configuring documents to be able to be shown on PC's, are there any major changes that I'm going to have to get used to, etc. Also list the pros and cons of switching. Thank you so much.Should I get a Macbook Pro?
Personally, I find the Mac operating system much more user-friendly and simplistic. However, it's very powerful. Pretty much anything you can do with a PC, you can do with a Mac. Yes, Picasa is available for the Mac (just go to picasa.google.com). You will have Firefox (no Internet Explorer, IE is for Windows/Microsoft only) or Safari or Chrome available, you will have iTunes, iChat (AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Google, etc. client built-into one), as well as being able to buy Microsoft Office for Mac (2011). With this, your files will be saved as .docx or .pptx or .xlsx, which can be opened using Microsoft Office for Windows. Essentially, the Macintosh operating system has slowly become mainstream, so you won't have much trouble with compatibility. Best way to see if you like it or not is to go to an Apple Retail store or local Best Buy or Media Center and check it out.

Just as a side note, you can install both Windows 7 (or Vista or XP) AND Mac OS X Lion (10.7) side by side using Bootcamp. There is also software such as OpenBox (free) or VmWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop that can run a virtual copy of Windows (or essentially any other operating system). For the $999 you spend on the Envy, add $400 more and you will get the ability to run two OS's on one computer. Plus, the computer is good for an overall user (casual video editing, web browsing, music, etc).
Yup, I'd go Mac. It's really easy to set up, and you can get used to it quickly! Programs are easily compatible and Apple's support is wonderful! On a side note, if you do get a Mac, choose to get the AppleCare before your one year warranty is over. It'll pay for itself if something goes wrong.

Report Abuse

Should I get a Macbook Pro?
Get the HP Envy 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment